The Catholic University of America

Federal Perkins Loan

The Federal Perkins Loan is offered to students who have exceptional financial need.  Students will be considered for this loan upon filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); there is no need to file a separate application.  Students can/must reapply each year by completing the FAFSA for the upcoming school year.  Funding is extremely limited and available funds are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.

There are no insurance premiums or origination fees charged for this loan. Interest does not accrue while you are enrolled at least half-time. You have a nine-month grace period, which begins when you graduate or cease to be enrolled at least half time. At the end of the grace period, you begin repayment to Catholic University. The fixed interest rate of 5% begins when you go into repayment and your monthly payments are calculated for full repayment within 10 years (120 months) or $40 monthly, whichever is greater. Federal Perkins Loans at Catholic University are administered through the Office of Student Financial Assistance and serviced by UAS (University Accounting Services, LLC.). Repayment begins nine months after graduation, upon termination of your student status, or after you are enrolled on a less than half-time basis.  Your loan cannot be disbursed to your student account until you have signed the Federal Perkins MPN, a legal and binding contract of your promise to repay the Perkins loan, according to the loan amount, interest and repayment terms. Once a Federal Perkins Loan MPN is completed and the loan is disbursed to you by Catholic University, you do not have to sign Federal Perkins Loan MPN again (it is valid for 10 years).

Breaks in enrollment, such as a leave of absence, will cause your Federal Perkins Loan to go into the grace period status.  It is your responsibility to file an in-school deferment with the Office of Enrollment Services when you re-enroll or your loan may go into repayment.

Steps to Finalize Your Perkins Loan

Step 1:  If you are awarded a Federal Perkins Loan you should accept or decline the award in Cardinal Station at using the Username and Password that were mailed to you when you applied.  Should you need this information again, you can contact the Computer Help Desk at 202-319-4357.

You will need to create a user ID and password on our system. You can also request a UAS PIN number. Everythint must match what our office has on file to create an account including your date of birth, zipcode, driver's license number, and your correct CUA email.

Step 2:  Students who have accepted a Federal Perkins Loan in Cardinal Station will receive an email notification from UAS notifying them to log into UAS Sign My Loan Website to complete their Federal Perkins Loan's Master Promissory Note (MPN) and the required on-line entrance counseling.  The email notifications will come from and will be sent only to the student's CUA email account.  Please follow the specific directions in the email.  Continuing students will need to sign for the loan each year it is offered.

It is important that the loan is signed for prior to the beginning of the academic year(start of the Fall semester). If the Perkins Loan is not completed within thirty (30) days of the initial UAS notification, it is subject to cancellation without reinstatement. Any email notification from the Office of Financial Aid or UAS will be sent only to the student's CUA email account.  All mail correspondence is sent to the student's permanent address in our student system.

Exit Loan Counseling

To fulfill your Federal Perkins Exit Loan Counseling requirement and to better understand the repayment details of your Federal Perkins Loan(s) go to the UAS Exit Counseling website.

The Exit Loan Counseling session is required upon graduation, or when a student leaves Catholic University.  Perkins Loan Exit Counseling is a federal requirement.  Catholic University will not release your diploma or provide your official academic transcript until this requirement is fulfilled.

You should have the following information available at the time of your exit loan counseling session.

  1. Your Social Security Number
  2. Your Driver's License Number
  3. Name, Address, Telephone Number of three References


Like any other loan, a Perkins Loan must be repaid with interest. Borrowers qualify for a nine-month grace period immediately following enrollment. The repayment amount depends on the size of the debt with a maximum repayment period of ten years.  Interest on the loan is computed at the rate of 5% per year simple interest on the unpaid principal balance. The borrower may prepay all or part of the loan at any time without penalty.

There are several options available should you enroll in school again or have difficulty making payments. Below is a description of each option available. Catholic University will determine whether a borrower is entitled to a deferment, forbearance or cancellation. For detailed information about repayment or to apply for a deferment, forbearance or cancellation, please visit our Perkins Loan servicer UAS.


A deferment is a period of time during which the borrower is not required to repay the loan principal. Interest will not accrue during deferment. Qualifying terms and conditions are included in the promissory note and detailed in exit counseling.


A forbearance is a temporary postponement of payments, an extension of time allowed for making payments or the acceptance of smaller payments than were previously scheduled. Interest will continue to accrue during any period of forbearance. If a borrower is financially unable to make the required payments on a loan, he or she must submit a written request with supporting documentation to the Perkins Loan Officer in the Office of Enrollment Services. The school may grant the borrower a forbearance for a period of up to one year at a time, not to exceed a total of three years.


The promissory note incorporates the cancellation provisions for the Federal Perkins Loan. For Federal Perkins Loan Teacher Cancellation information is available at U.S. Department of Education.